Skip to content

Current F-1 Students

Below is a list of Current F-1 Student forms that can be completed online.

If you have already started a specific online form, do not start a new one. Please go to your User Home Page to continue working on your online form.
  • Addition/Change of Major - Submit this form if you have added a new major or changed majors so that you can receive an updated I-20.
  • ​Cap Gap Extension I-20 Request - to request a new I-20 reflecting employment authorization extension if your employer has a pending H-1B petition to USCIS on your behalf.
  • Change of Education Level - Current F-1 students at the UW at a different level or on OPT recommended by ISS, and you receive admission to a new degree program at UW-Madison to resume studies, must complete this form.
  • Change of Financial Support - If your sponsor changes while you are studying at UW-Madison, you must submit new documentation to update your I-20.
  • Correction of Status - If you have failed to maintain lawful F-1 student immigration status, you must submit this form to possibly correct your F-1 record. Note: days of unlawful presence will begin to accrue from the date of status violation. Any student in violation of their status is required to meet with an ISS advisor.
    • International Student Orientation (ISO) & ISS Check-in - Complete this form if you are entering the U.S. with a new I-20 or have been approved for reinstatement by USCIS. You must provide copies of your U.S. immigration documents upon entry to the U.S., or upon approval from USCIS, for ISS records. 
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) - F-1 students requesting off-campus work authorization, related to their program of study, prior to graduation. Students requesting an extension of their current CPT authorization should also use this form. Note: CPT cannot be backdated if submitted late to ISS.
  • Dependent Request - If you plan to add a spouse and/or dependent child (unmarried, under 21 years old) or if you wish to remove a dependent, after your initial I-20 has already been issued.
  • Document Upload - Use this form to upload documents to your portal. This form can be used if you have changed to different U.S. immigration status (green card, TN, etc.), passport renewal, F-1/J-1 visa renewal, or OPT withdrawal letter. 
  • F-1 Transfer Out - If you plan to transfer to another U.S. school, ISS must first review your SEVIS record before granting access to the new school.
  • I-20 Reprint Request - If your current I-20 was lost or stolen, or if your current travel signature lines are full or your travel signature will be outdated by the time you intend to re-enter the U.S.
  • ITIN Letter - If you will receive a scholarship, fellowship, or grant from UW-Madison and will not be employed. New students and students returning with a new Initial Attendance I-20 must complete immigration check before an ITIN letter can be issued.
  • Leave of Absence  -  If you wish to take a temporary absence, including time outside the U.S., you must submit related documentation to discuss its impact on your immigration status.
  • Off-Campus Employment - Severe Economic Hardship - F-1 students whose financial support suddenly changes and causes severe economic hardship, may be eligible to apply for off-campus employment after meeting with an international student advisor.
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) - F-1 students requesting pre-completion or post-completion work authorization, related to their program of study, must complete this online application with required OPT workshop. Note: You will need to complete the OPT information modules (estimated time requirement: about 1 hour) before submitting this application.
    • USCIS OPT Application Review - Please submit this form to have an ISS advisor review the documents that you will send to USCIS for OPT. No appointment is necessary.
  • Program Extension - If you will not complete your academic program by the program end date stated on the I-20, you must apply for an extension in advance. Note: only medical or academic are acceptable reasons per immigration regulations.
  • Reduced Course Load: Academic - Immigration regulations require F-1 students to maintain full-time enrollment each academic term. Students who need to drop below full-time must obtain prior approval from ISS. This form is only for reduced course loads for academic reasons. There is a separate form for medical reduced course load requests.
  • Reduced Course Load: Medical - Immigration regulations require F-1 students to maintain full-time enrollment each academic term. Students who need to drop below full-time for medical reasons must provide a letter signed by a U.S. medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist to obtain approval from ISS.
  • Return from Leave of Absence - ISS will create a new I-20 for you to return from a leave of absence if you are eligible to enroll for the semester of your return. If you are not eligible to enroll for the semester of your return, you must apply for reentry admission through either the Admissions Office or the Graduate School. Your admitting unit will create your new I-20 if you are readmitted.
    • International Student Orientation (ISO) & ISS Check-in - Only complete this form if you are a new student or returning from a leave of absence where you were not enrolled at University of Wisconsin-Madison. You must provide copies of your U.S. immigration documents upon entry to the U.S. for ISS records. Note: if you graduated from UW-Madison within the last 60 days, please talk to an ISS Advisor before completing this form.
  • ​​Shorten Program - F-1 students who have completed all academic program requirements before the current I-20 program end date.
  • Social Security Number (SSN) Letter - F-1 students who have a paid employment offer that begins within 30 days will need to request a letter to confirm their student immigration status before applying for a SSN at the Social Security Administration. 
  • ​STEM OPT Extension - F-1 students on OPT after earning a bachelor, master, or doctoral degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (government approved STEM fields) can apply for 24 months of additional OPT if they have a job or job offer from an E-Verify employer and meet all other required criteria.
  • Report STEM OPT Participation - While on the STEM OPT extension, you must submit a "Validation Report" every 6 months starting from the date the OPT extension begins and ending when your F-1 status or the extension ends, whichever is first.
  • Spring 2021 Travel Support Letter - Request a personalized enrollment letter for hybrid instruction. Updates from your Student Center may take 24-48 hours to reflect in Terra Dotta.