Skip to content

Current J-1 Students

Below is a list of Current J-1 Student forms that can be completed online.

Note: If you have already started a specific online form, do not start a new one. Please go to your User Home Page to continue working on your online form.
  • Academic Training (Link to Website) provides J-1 students with practical experience that compliments their program of study and must be directly related to the J-1 student’s field of study, or major 
    • Pre-Completion Academic Training - J-1 students requesting work authorization during their program for employment training or practical experience
    • Post-Completion Academic Training - J-1 students requesting work authorization after their program for employment training or practical experience
    • STEM Extension Academic Training - J-1 student degree-seeking Undergraduates and Masters with a STEM eligible major are eligible for an extension on their Post-Completion Academic Training if you will use over 18-months. J-1 students requesting advance off-campus work authorization for employment training or practical experience, related to their field of study. Note: This is only for J-1 students who are currently on Post-Completion Academic Training and in a STEM program.
  • ​​Change of Education Level - If you are changing to a higher education level submit this form to update your SEVIS record.
  • Change of Financial Support - If your sponsor changes while you are studying at UW-Madison, you must submit new documentation to update your DS-2019.
  • Concurrent Enrollment - Submit the form if you need the course at another SEVP Certified school to count toward full-time enrollment requirements or if you need a letter approving you for concurrent enrollment at another school. 
  • ​Copies of Previous Documents - Submit this form if you would like ISS to find a previously issued document in our records. You can also use this form if you need ISS to attest to your immigration record for the duration of your SEVIS ID at UW-Madison.
  • ​Dependent Request - If you plan to add a spouse and/or dependent child (unmarried, under 21 years old) or if you wish to remove a dependent, after your initial DS-2019 has already been issued.
  • DS-2019 Reprint Request - If your current DS-2019 was lost or stolen, or if your current travel signature lines are full or your travel signature will be outdated by the time you intend to re-enter the U.S.
  • Exchange Visitor Out of Country - If you will withdraw from the current semester, study or research abroad, take online courses outside the U.S., or otherwise leave the U.S. indefinitely before you complete all requirements to graduate.
  • ITIN Letter - If you will receive a scholarship, fellowship, or grant from UW-Madison and will not be employed. New students and students returning with a new Initial Attendance I-20 must complete immigration check before an ITIN letter can be issued.
  • J-1 Correction of Status - If you failed to maintain lawful J-1 student immigration status, you must submit this form to possible correct your J-1 record. Any student in violation of their status is required to meet with their ISS Advisor
  • J-1 Transfer Out - If you plan to transfer your J-1 status to another U.S. school or program sponsor, ISS must first review your SEVIS record in advance.
  • J-1 Severe Economic Hardship - Off-Campus Employment - J-1 students whose financial support suddenly changes and causes severe economic hardship may be eligible to apply for off-campus employment after meeting with an International Student Advisor
  • ​J-1 Student Program Extension - If you are a student and will not complete your program by the program end date stated on the DS-2019, you must apply for an extension in advance.
  • On-Campus Employment - J-1 students should register their on-campus employment with UW-Madison for SEVIS reporting.
  • Reduced Course Load: Academic (J) - Immigration regulations require J-1 students to maintain full-time enrollment each academic term. Students who need to drop below full-time must obtain prior approval from ISS. This form is only for reduced course loads for academic reasons. There is a separate form for medical reduced course load requests.
  • Reduced Course Load: Medical (J) - Immigration regulations require J-1 students to maintain full-time enrollment each academic term. Students who need to drop below full-time for medical reasons must provide a letter signed by a U.S. medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist to obtain approval from ISS.
  • ​​Shorten Program - J-1 students who have completed all academic program requirements before the current DS-2019 program end date.​